Rockin' Robin

Rockin' Robin

Sunday, August 12, 2012

33 Laps = 1 mile PLUS The 9 Mile Walk

I went to the gym today for a swim. 
As I finished my first lap I looked up and saw a sign that read,
33 laps = 1 mile
I'm always up for a physical challenge, so I started swimming. 
I actually did it. 
I swam 33 laps. 
It was fun, and I felt great. 
I love to exercise, and have often thought how cool it would be if I could make money working out.
Maybe I could enter the Olympics. 
The SENIOR OLYMPICS
Hahahahaha
After the pool I came home and Billy and I had dinner.
Billy BBQ'd and suggested we walk to the Maverick for a yogurt. 
Now, Maverick isn't around the corner, but it was a nice evening and we love to walk so why not.
We started out the long way and were going to take the country roads along the river. 
Well, Billy needed to make a bathroom stop, so we detoured by the convenience store. 
Once we were back walking I sort of noticed we had walked pretty far and still had a ways to go. 
I suggested we turn around, but Billy said we had gone over half way so we might as well finish. 
The problem with walking a long way one direction is the return trip is just as far.  
I told Billy that when get to Maverick it would be our luck that the yogurt machine would be broken. 
He said if it was then he was going to buy a beer. 
I was laughing so hard. 
We talked about calling a cab or a friend.
Then we remember we don't have any friends. 
It became quite comical.
We made it to Maverick - the machine wasn't broken - we got our yogurt, sat at a picnic table with some weird girl who was begging for money for diapers. I figured since she had shared with several others in the store that she had a new tattoo, and she had purchased some smoothie drink, that she must NOT be that destitute. 
Billy sarcastically told me to ask her if she had a car. 
No way I was getting in a car with her.  
He then suggested I walk with my thumb out. 
He had me call my mom and see about a ride home, but I wouldn't let them come and get us. 
 I insisted that we could finish - it wasn't that far. 
WELL....
The sun went down.
It was DARK - NO street lights in the country.
Then the mosquitoes came out. 
HUGE HUGE HUGE
MOSQUITOES!!!!
Our walk turned into our run.
Literally. 
Running from the mosquitoes. 
It was horrible. 
We finally made it back to the first convenience store  where Billy had used the restroom at the beginning of our walk. 
We were still a mile from home so I insisted we buy bug spray. 
I was not going to walk another mile fighting off the mosquitoes on steroids. 
After paying some ridiculous amount for a small can of, OFF, we bathed ourselves in the poison and started on our last mile. 
We finally made it home at 10:30 pm. 
 Exactly 4 hours from when we started. 
I was sure we walked at least 20 miles, so I made Billy drive us the whole route, so I would know the exact mileage. 
Can you believe it?
Only 9 miles.
Ugh. 



No comments: