For the past couple of weeks Billy and I have been watching
episodes of the television series, Lost. It’s a bit of a science fiction show
that aired for 6 seasons several years ago.
The cast is really good, and it’s been easy to get caught up in the
on-going plot.
We started season two yesterday, and my curiosity got the
best of me. I wanted to know how the story ended. After Billy went to bed I secretly
watched the final episode. HUGE regret. It made me sad. IT’S TELEVISION!!!!!
How can I become emotional over fictional characters? Anyway, I found myself
not even wanting to go back and watch the remainder of the series. I knew the
outcome.
As I lay in bed last night I thought about what a mistake it
was to watch the end. The suspense, the anticipation, the wonder, the hope; is
all gone now because I know what happens. I did not really even like the
ending. It didn’t leave me with a “Happily ever after” feeling. This may sound
a bit dramatic over a stupid television show, but I was really thinking about
how blessed we are that we do not know the outcomes of our lives. So often we
wish we could look into the future and get glimpse of our destiny. But, do we
really want to know?
Just as it was a mistake to watch the last episode of that
show, I believe it would be a mistake to know the final episode of our lives.
We would lose the wonder, the joy, the anticipation, and the hope we feel for
the future. We would already know, and that knowledge would possibly deflate
any exuberance we have over the wonderment of the unknown. If I knew I was
going to fail at an endeavor, then why would I make an effort? If I knew
someone I loved would die at an early age, then why would I invest in such deep
love knowing I would only be hurt?
Not knowing the finale is what makes the series of “Life” so
great. The journey, the traveling, the road trip of life with all its hills,
valleys, bumps and curves is what contribute to our destiny. Knowing the outcome takes away the thrill of
the challenge, the pride of an accomplishment and the joy of surprise. For me,
I’ll enjoy the journey and look forward to the destination – whatever that may
be.
1 comment:
Robin! I'm so glad to reconnect with you! Our family loves you! How on earth did you find my blog and I'm LOVING your pictures!
Post a Comment