My chickens are getting too big to continue living in the little "barn type" room in my garage, so this week Billy and my step-dad, John built me a chicken coop. John is amazing - he can build something like this without seeing a picture, or looking at plans. This was far beyond what I ever expected. It turned out so nice that it almost seems wrong to allow chickens to poop inside.
John in front of the chicken coop.
I love him so much. I treasure everything he has ever made me.
The finished product.
Thanks John and Billy.
We worked in the pasture this week trying to get it cleaned up a bit. We raked and burned the weeds - that was kind of weird just setting a fire in my back yard.
The next task at hand was to set some gopher traps. We had a pretty bad problem with the gophers when we moved in, so I called some "gopher killer" guy and had him come out to get rid of them. It's a long story and I won't even mention how much I paid for this service, but when we saw evidence of new gopher activity we had learned a few things. The first thing is we could buy gopher traps at the local feed store for $5 and do the the job ourselves. Which is what we did. Billy dug a hole to find their tunnel and set the trap using peanut butter as bait.
Two days later...this is what we found.
Dead ugly gopher.
It looks a lot bigger in the picture, but he still was a good size gopher. It was so exciting to actually catch him ourselves.
We spent a lot of time with our goats this week getting them used to us and their new home.
They are really fun, animated creatures. I'm enjoying them.
I guess the grass was sweeter under the truck.
I like to make sure my grand daughters are exposed to a variety of culture activities and the arts.
This week I provided art classes for them with finger painting being their favorite.
Music appreciation was also on the list of activities.
Sweet Savannah - someday she will really play and I know she will make beautiful music.
Sculpturing was another activity of the week.
This was Abby's sculpture of her mommy with "baby brother" on board.
My time with the girls is valuable to me - today's visit will probably be my last one on one time with them. They won't be here for me to babysit.
They are moving in a couple weeks. They won't remember any of this, but I will. I will look at the picture of this pudgy little hand and remember the play dough days, the finger painting days, and Abby asking me, "Grandma, you got your "theeps" yet, you got chickens?" every time I came to her house.
Thank you girls for loving me.
There is something so special about the love of a grandchild.
I will miss this time we had together.













1 comment:
WHETHER OR NOT THE GIRLS ACTUALLY REMEMBER THE ACTIVITIES YOU DO, YOU'RE BUILDING THIER INNER WORTH AND IF YOU HIDE AND WATCH AS THE YEARS CONTINUE, THEY WILL LOVE BEING WITH THIER FAMILY INSTEAD OF BEING LOST AND SEARCHING FOR SOMETHING. MAYBE I TAKE MY JOB AS GRANDMA TOO SERIOUSLY....BUT I KNOW WHAT MY GRANDPARENTS MEANT AND DID FOR ME.....
LOVE THE GOATS! b
Post a Comment