Rockin' Robin

Rockin' Robin

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Simple Things We Take For Granted


(Picture I took of the sunset over Lake Lowell)
Posted by PicasaWhat if you were not able to see the beauty of a sunset?
I never really gave much thought to that question until last night.
One of my patients is a very sweet lady who had an accident that has caused her to be paralyzed from her neck down. She has only slight gross motor movement of her arms, so is unable to care for herself.
She is very far from home and it has been months since she has seen her husband or family.
She is homesick and sad, but always seems to be hopeful she will go home soon.
Last night when I went into her room we chatted a bit about her day. I happened to notice out of her window the reflection of the sun on the clouds was really bright. The position of her bed doesn't allow her to see through the window. I asked her when was the last time she had seen the sunset to which she replied she couldn't remember.
I said, "well tonight you are going to see the sunset".
I walked over to the window and took a picture with my phone of the bright sky vivid with a multitude of colors. I showed her the picture which she was so grateful to see.

Oh the simple things we take for granted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I TRY TO TAKE A LOOK AROUND ME, OR MAKE EXTRA EFFORT TO HEAR MY SURROUNDINGS....EVERY DAY. IT IS A BEAUTIFUL LIFE WE HAVE.