Rockin' Robin

Rockin' Robin

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Power of Prayer

I love faith promoting stories. I recently had an experience that testified to me of the principle of prayer.

I have a friend, Tawn, who was in my class in respiratory school. Tawn has a bitter taste in her mouth about religion. I love Tawn, and I can see well beyond her emotionally rough exterior. She makes me laugh (something I LOVE to do), and I know she longs to feel loved. But, Tawn is mad at God. She feels He doesn’t love her, and all the problems she has in her life are because He has deserted her. I have tried to teach her otherwise, but it has been a difficult and unsuccessful challenge.

Recently I had an opportunity that not only was spiritually educational for Tawn, but was extremely faith promoting for me.

After respiratory school there are three board exams in order to acquire the status of “Registered Respiratory Therapist”. Tawn had passed two of the three, but struggled with the third exam and had taken it 6 times without passing. She was discouraged and feeling as though she should give up. I felt so bad for her, and I knew it was not only taking its toll on her bank account to retake those tests, but it was also taking a toll on her self-esteem. So I decided it was time for me to do the only thing I could think of to help her……..PRAY!

A few days before her next scheduled exam I devoted all my energy to prayer. I had her name put on the prayer roll of several temples and for three days I poured my heart out for her. I expressed my deepest concern for her, and explained that I desperately wanted Tawn to know that prayer does work. I wanted her to know that we are given challenges so we will call on God - if things were always perfect we would never call on Him because, there would be no need. I wanted Tawn to know that Heavenly Father loves her, and if she would only ASK Him He would help her. I wanted to be able to tell her that she passed because I prayed for her, and those prayers were answered. She had done her part – she had studied and worked hard to learn all the material – if SHE wasn’t going to ask for help, then I was.

Her test was scheduled for 9:00 in the morning. I was on my knees at 9:00 in the morning asking for her to be able to recall all the information she needed to pass her test. I knew in my heart she would pass. I knew Heavenly Father wanted her to believe that prayer was a powerful resource.

Wellllllllll...........

She passed.

After SEVEN times of taking the test she PASSED.

Coincidence?

I don’t think so.

Oh and guess what?

She BELIEVES!!!!!!

4 comments:

Rachel H. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel H. said...

Sorry, that last comment didn't make sense after I looked back on it. I guess I had entered your blog address in wrong so it wasn't updating. But now I have it right so we can keep up with each other again, although I haven't been posting lately for various reasons. Anyhow, thanks for being such a great example!

Melinda said...

Robin,

that is an awesome story thanks for reminding me of the power of prayer. I know he hears our prayers and yet I get lazy.

laurie said...

That is an awesome story. Prayer really does work. Sometimes its not what we want to hear, but either way it helps us get through the journey! Thanks for sharing that experience Robin.