I went to Relief Society at church last night. It’s the
first time I’ve gone since I moved to Idaho. Our new Bishop was speaking and
they were serving dinner so I thought it would be a good way to maybe meet some
people. It was ok. I’m not sure where I fit in these days. Kind of in the
middle of young mothers and older seniors……where is that? It was easier to make
friends when I was raising children – the children were the common link between
women. Those play dates aren’t for the kids you know…..who are they kidding…..it’s
for the mom’s to visit and stay sane.
NOW what is there? My kids live in another state, so the “dinner
at mom’s” on Sundays isn’t happening. I’m not going to the “Sunshine Girls” club
or the Senior Center. I want to go shopping or the gym, or walking, or to lunch,
or to the movies etc.. I’ve settled into the “alone club” and it’s not so bad,
but it’s not so good either. If it weren’t for work I don’t think I’d see
anyone. Well, maybe my mom – but even she has more of a social life than I do.
Soooooooo why am I rambling on about this? I have no idea
other than the fact that it’s on my mind. I’m busy with work, school, I’ve been
sewing, and I do have my chickens, but other than work that doesn’t leave me
too much opportunity to share in conversation. Those chickens aren’t too wordy.
Billy and I work opposite shifts so we generally say, “see ya next Monday” or
whatever. It’s weird.
The Bishop had some good thoughts last night. He talked
about life being more of a marathon than a sprint and we have to pace
ourselves. It reminded me of the time my friend Lila and I walked the half
marathon in Salt Lake City. It was one of the most fun things I’ve ever done.
Last night I reflected on that day and I remember watching the different
runners pass on their way to the finish line. Each runner was headed in the
same direction, but they all arrived at different times. Some runners ran
easily and it looked like the run was effortless. Then there were those who
were struggling and putting every ounce of effort they had to keep going. Then
there was Lila and I – we simply kept a steady pace and enjoyed the journey. There
were times when we were tired, but it was a marathon and we knew we were going
to reach the end regardless of how long it took us. When we were done I
personally felt a sense of accomplishment. I think this relates well to the
marathon of life. It often appears that some people skate through life
effortlessly, and then there are those who are weighted down with struggles so
every step seems difficult. Most of us are somewhere in between - we run, we get
tired, we have a hill to climb, then we get a burst of energy that keeps us
going. I’d like to think I’m simply the marathon walker – keeping a steady pace
– enjoying the journey.
1 comment:
Robin, I know what you mean about the alone club. I am in a ward with a lot of other women in the same boat. When we had kids, those play dates kept us together. Now we just say, "Hi," to each other at church with the occassional, "Let's get together sometime and have lunch."
Post a Comment