Rockin' Robin

Rockin' Robin

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Purpose


I often wonder if my life has purpose. The actions, deeds, or talents of some are so significant they promote good in the world, or they benefit people in some way or another. I often wish I was that kind of person, but instead my life is ordinary with no outstanding gifts or talents.

I work in the medical field and death is a very real part of my job. It’s the sad part. I try to analyze my feelings during the times when I watch a patient slip from this life to the next. Today I was a part of a team of medical professionals who fervently worked to save a life. For 20 minutes I helped perform chest compressions trying to restart the one organ that is the nucleus of the body.

Finally the heart began to beat. I watched as blood began to flow and life was restored. I marveled at the human body, at modern medicine and Divine intervention.

Experiences like this are surreal as the fragility of life becomes very clear.
Later I was sitting alone documenting my day, and was approached by one of the family members who kindly said, “Thank you”.  I was surprised. I never expected acknowledgment – it never crossed my mind I did anything worthy of a thank you. Suddenly I became aware of the significance of the event. We, as a team, had saved a life –a life of someone who is a part of a family of loved ones.

I walked into my patient’s room and on the board was written, “I love you, Grandpa”.

Today I had a purpose.

No comments: